Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Return to Haiti



I promised many of you communication about my next trip to Haiti, which is sneaking up quickly. I will leave June 6th around 6am from Nashville and arrive in Port Au Prince at 3pm. I can't tell you how excited I am to return & help spread the love of Christ. During my trip I will be the only RN on hand for a construction & architect team of 20. During our trip we will be rebuilding a school & church that fell during the quake. My role will be to serve the community that we are placed in, treating whatever needs come my way, as well as monitor the health and safety of the team.  As I found out on my last trip, need is everywhere. I expect to treat many infections, dehydration, wounds, injuries, malnutrition, etc. As well as simply providing a caring touch - which most haven't experienced in a while. Another exciting opportunity I will have is to speak at the nursing school in Port Au Prince. They lost 30 students in the quake. There are 75 students left. I asked the director of the program what was most needed & he reported they did not have stethoscopes. I have collected about 55 stethoscope thus far! I can't believe how close I am to the goal of 75. Im truly looking forward to spending time with these ladies that are so desperately needed in Haiti right now. I have been asked several times, "Why would you want to go back?". My answer is simple...I feel responsible as a follower of Christ to care for these people. The scenes I witnessed on my first trip I won't forget...as long as I live....and if I did forget what a shame it would be. I have been so insanely blessed...the LEAST I can do is respond to the burden that has been placed on my heart. I know that I can't fix Haiti. Only through Jesus Christ can Haiti be rebuilt. I know I am called to help bring vision to the people of Haiti. "Where there is no vision, the people perish" Prov 29:18. I also know that God said "Ask and I'll give the nations to you." Psalms 2:8. Fixing Haiti is too big a task for me...but nothing is too big for God...therefore I will continue to pray for the rebirth of Haiti and for the vision of Jesus to spread across Haiti's people. Please join me in that prayer. 

- SarahJane

No comments: